Sunday, October 20, 2013

Bullying











 We have all heard about that story of  Rebecca Sedgwick who killed herself Sept. 9 by jumping off a cement factory tower. She did it because of bullying. I can’t believe that the girls that did the bullying were about 14 and 15. I think that bullying has become out of hand and it will become worse. I think that because of media and the influence friends , kids think that it’s ok if the media and their friends are doing it. I honestly think that the schools and media need to take a stand to stop this because it has taken so many lives. Lots of kids have to go though this and I honestly feel bad for them because I have once been there myself.

            One thing that the media is good at is getting people hooked to it, because it gives them a “life” even if is distorted or fictitious. Most teens are afraid of “not fitting in” because most of them are afraid of not being accepted. I think that the media shows distorted message to send to young children, teens and adults. A great deal of the public attention has been focused on how bullying has to stop but we are not doing much about it. I think that the media has perceived the pattern of school bullying in different ways. Most of the explanations have left us feeling empty, not fully defining the problem.  

             To my believe ,I think that people are bullies because they want to feel better about themselves, whether they are conscious of what they are doing or not, bullying makes people feel better, but in the long run, it's really a domino effect because bullying can make you feel worse about yourself which then causes you to bully more. I believe that the problem starts at home, with friends, and the media. Most of the people that do the bullying have other deep or important issues that cause them to bully. There had been instances in the past that teens commit suicide imitating her favorite actress. I think that most teens now days only care about what they see on the media. 
 
With all the cell phones, social media Web sites, and online gaming, teens today seem to have more outlets for interacting with each other virtually than they do for interacting with each other in person. However I think that with all of the good social interaction that is done as a result of these technologies also comes the bad. In addition to the physical and verbal bullying that may take place at school, cyber-bullying in the form of harassing text messages and Facebook pages has a large effect on children and teens. I think that people need to think twice before saying or doing something to someone and think about how it could affect the person.

            The influence of media to me is growing stronger and stronger every day. I do think that media is one of the key factors of bullying. If you think about it, the media is largely responsible for inculcating the minds of people with false notions and morbid imageries. They are feeding the minds of innocent young people with violence and other disturbing issues. They inform people on how to do acts that are deemed controversial to the society. There are some television shows and movies that attempt to create an atmosphere to change the view of people towards social issues such as racial discrimination. To me these shows provoke criticism and tend to mislead the picture of reality. In the minds of other people, the effect can be for the better, but some unfortunately for the worse.

             





2 comments:

  1. Kindergarten through half way of my freshman year, I attended Prairie schools. I had no problems until one day I backed up my friend who was being called 'stupid', 'retarded' and 'useless' by one of the most loved teachers in the school. This was sixth grade. I was so hurt by the things my friends and classmates were saying, I began injuring myself and skipping school. I attempted to kill myself on four separate occasions in eighth and ninth grade. Coming to Kennedy was the greatest thing that ever happened to me.

    The bullying happens everywhere- not just online. And it's just got to stop. No one should feel the way I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you're bringing the much needed attention to such a serious subject. Bullying is a very huge issue across America. The more people that are able to recognize bullying, the more likely we, as a nation, will be able to put an end to such tragedies that come from bullying.

    ReplyDelete